Melissa's Oaxaca Service-Learning Blog

I was enrolled in a summer Service-Learning Program through ACCD. this blog follwed our adventures in San Antonio and in Oaxaca. It now holds some thoughts on life, and fun as well as comments. I will continue to post Oaxaca information as i get it. you will want to continue checking for updates since we are suppose to go back in March 07!

 
Last Call, Leaving San Antoinio to Oaxaca
Monday, June 12, 2006
As I entered the airport at 5:29 I felt like everyone was staring at me. I had two bags to roll, two carry on bags, and 13 little brown bags filled with goodies for my fellow classmates. Yes I looked like I was going away, forever. The bags made me feel silly. Paul just dropped me off and I thought wow, I am really doing this, on my own, no family members, since he did not offer to help take my bags in I was thinking, and no one to take care of but me, yikes, that is scary because I am a handful.

Than I saw Mary walk in the doors, whew, a familiar face. We made our way to the rest of our group Brendon, Mel, Denise, and Liz were already there. I am glad I told myself 5 a.m. because I know I run 30 minuets late all the time.


As we were hurried off to check in we had to go through and have our bags scanned, my laptop removed from the bag and my shoes off. Denise was hurrying us along, since the plane was getting ready to depart and we were the last to board. I know that does not surprise many of you that I would be the last to board the plane. We even ran through the airport with our shoes off. I know you can imagine that.

As we ascended into the air our plane soared into raspberry blue cotton candy clouds. They were so fluffy that if my son Jacob was here I know he would think he could eat them.

We landed at Houston’s busy airport right at 8 am and than began another crazy race to our next flight. Boy my legs are already hurting, I need to get in shape! And for those of you wondering, yes I have already had my first Red Bull for the day.

I am now on the flight to Oaxaca we are scheduled to arrive at 11:27 central time. Brenda our flight attended smiles as she offers me a drink. She hands me a coke can that is really cute. It is from Thai, ill have to save the can for my grandma the big coke fan.

The captain says the weather is 62 degrees. What a way to start our trip with beautiful weather. The forecast says it’s supposed to rain. That’s ok I know we will still have fun.

Well time for me to eat cheerios; listen to Linkin Park while I catch up on my school reading. Karen and Denise like to keep us well informed.

Enjoy the first of many photos to come
posted by Melissa Rodriguez @ 6/12/2006 06:08:00 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Melissa Rodriguez
Home: San Antonio, Texas, United States
About Me: New me, not the same one that started out in the begining of the summer. Oaxaca and what I saw here in SA changed me. I use to think I did a lot, volunteer for organizations, chair events. blablabla. But there is sooo much more to do! And i learned not to be afraid. Not that I was scared of things before. But not to be afraid to venture out and ask questions. Or to say NO! And to ask why something can't happen. To be in the middle of all that and not knowing what tomorrow held. Finding out who really loved you when you called home, who was waiting for your call.. maybe my last call, that woke me up to what i want for my life....New me ..braver, more aggressive, and more FOCUS than ever on a GOAL! UPDATE: one goal completed since last updated: i graduating w/ my AA in PR! 2nd goal going to OLLU for my BS. 3rd goal: WE ARE GOING BACK TO OAXACA!!!
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2005 Melissa's Oaxaca Service-Learning Blog Template by Isnaini Dot Com